West Cork Chamber Music Festival 2016
Composition Competition for Young Irish Composers Call for Scores
Works chosen will be performed at the 21st West Cork Chamber Music Festival
1 – 4 July 2016
West Cork Music invites Irish composers under 35 years of age on 1st January 2016 to submit works for string quartet (violin, violin, viola, cello) of between 5-8 minutes duration for performance at the 21st West Cork Chamber Music Festival 2016.
Four works will be selected. The composer of each selected work will receive a prize of €500 and two nights B&B at the Festival. They will be asked to attend the Young Composers Forum at the Festival on Saturday 2nd July, which will be directed by an international Composer, where the winning pieces will be played through by a quartet on the Festival’s masterclass programme. The premieres will take place during the Festival in the Town Concert series on 4, 5, 6 and 8 July.
1. Entrants must be under the age of 35 on 1st January 2016, state date of birth and give full contact details including postal address.
2. Entrants must be of Irish nationality, born in Northern Ireland, resident on the island of Ireland or Citizenship through descent - If either of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, you are an Irish citizen, irrespective of your place of birth.
3. Entrants may submit only one work
4. Winners and entrants from previous competitions run by West Cork Music are welcome to submit new scores.
5. Works must be between 5 and 8 minutes in length and may not involve any form of electronics or pre-recorded sounds
6. Works may not have been performed in concert before a ticket-buying public audience prior to the Festival.
7. Scores must be submitted to West Cork Music by 7 March 2016. Scores must be submitted electronically.
8. Compositions will be assessed by an adjudicator chosen by West Cork Music
9. Works will be assessed anonymously, please do not mark or sign scores.
10. Selected compositions will be announced on www.westcorkmusic.ie by 15th April 2016. Selected composers will be notified by email.
11. Winning entrants must submit instrumental parts by 25th April 2016.
12. It is a condition of entry that composers agree to attend the workshop in Bantry on Saturday 2nd June 2016 at 14.00. Prizes will be withheld in the event of non-attendance. All expenses incurred in attendance are the responsibility of the winning composers. However the Festival will provide two nights’ accommodation for the composer.
13. West Cork Music reserves the right to alter dates and times of the workshop and subsequent performances.
Address for submission:
West Cork Music,
View previous winners from 2008 - 2015 click here.